In 2020, Tokyo will host the Olympic and Paralympic Games for the first time in 56 years. 2020 is also a special year for the Girl Scouts of Japan as it marks the centenary celebrations of their Association.
Girl Scouts of Japan have developed the Olympia Badge 2020 Activity Pack in conjunction with WAGGGS to help Girl Guides and Girl Scouts around the world learn more about the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and to join in celebrating the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouting in Japan.
The Olympia Badge was first designed by the Greek Girl Guiding Association in 2004, to celebrate the return of the Olympic Games to Athens, 108 years after Greece hosted the first modern international Olympics. The aim of the Olympia Badge was to remind people of the original purpose of the Olympic Games: a truly global celebration of peace and international friendship.
WAGGGS Vision 2020 is that “All girls and young women are valued and take action to change the world”. Girl Scouts Japan’s Vision 2020 is that “All girls and young women speak out about issues which affect girls and young women and take action for a better world”.
Girl Scouts Japan hope that all members of Guiding worldwide will enjoy the activities, learn about the spirit of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, learn about their culture, and bring about an awareness of the importance of peace and friendship in all communities.
“This is the world we want for our girls!”
– Teruko Wada. National Commissioner, Girl Scouts of Japan
By taking part in these activities, you will:
- Challenge yourself to ‘do your best’ – which is something that athletes and Girl Guides/Girl Scouts have in common!
- Learn about Japan; its culture and sporting heritage
- Experience the excitement of Olympic and Paralympic sports
- Prepare like an athlete through physical, spiritual, and cultural activities
- Understand how the Olympic Games bring countries together